"The Eucharist is 'the source and summit of the Christian life.' 'The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself ... It is the culmination both of God's action sanctifying the world in Christ and of the worship men offer to Christ and through him to the Father in the Holy Spirit."
Catechism of the Catholic Church 1324-1325
Our Source and Summit
The sacrifice of the Mass is offered at St. Stephen parish as the daily commemoration of Christ's redemptive work on the Cross, as well as for weddings as the sign of unity between the Lord and His bride, the Church; and in Masses of Burial, as a way of lifting the souls of the dead to the God who was risen from the dead. For more information about how you can get involved in the celebration of Sunday Eucharist, visit our Liturgy page.
The parish First Communion Mass is always celebrated on the first Sunday in May: the 2019-2020 year date is May 3, 2020, during the 10:30 a.m. Mass.
All Second Graders that are already enrolled in the parish school or Faith Formation program are automatically signed up for First Holy Communion Preparation. Along with classroom preparation, there is also a day-long retreat in the late winter for the communicants.
- Eat meals together as a family. Talk about how when we receive communion we are coming together to eat at the table with the Lord.
- Practice actually receiving communion: use M&M's, crackers, or Jelly Beans, and Juice, and learn how to receive Jesus in a holy and reverent manner.
- Look into the history of the Seder Meal, and have one as a family.
- Share your experience receiving the Eucharist for the first time.
- Share a time when Jesus being truly present in the Eucharist really moved you.
- Play pretend Mass at home, practice what to say during Mass.
- Do a quick search on Pinterest for tons more ideas! You can even check out OUR Pinterest page!