Adult Faith Formation
Interested in learning more about the Catholic faith?
Do you experience something missing in your faith life and seek a spiritual home to call your own? Were you Baptized in another Christian tradition and want to learn more about becoming Catholic? Were you Baptized as a Catholic but never celebrated the sacraments of Confirmation or Eucharist and now want to be fully initiated? Or perhaps you are married to a Catholic (or plan to marry one) and just want to learn more about your (future) spouse's beliefs and practices.
St. Stephen parish offers the opportunity to explore and respond to these questions and life circumstances. The process described in The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) enables one to ask questions and discern how God might be calling to you in your faith journey. Our parish will be offering RCIA sessions on Thursday evenings from 7pm to 8pm at our parish office. You will be welcomed into full communion with the church at the Easter Vigil (Saturday service the night before Easter). If you are unsure whether or not this may be the year for you, join us for the first few sessions.
Contact Brittany Renne in the Office of Faith Formation Office at 616.243.8998 for more information. We can't wait to start this journey with you!
Adult Faith Formation Opportunities
St. Stephen parish offers a variety of adult faith formation opportunities, including...
The retreat includes 4 aspects:
- Committing to saying the rosary each day
- Fasting, 1 day per week. You may choose any route to fast, whether it be 2 small and 1 large meals, abstaining from something (ie chocolate), bread and water only. It is whatever you choose.
- (optional) Reading along in the daily meditation book. This has a few very brief questions to consider regarding the day’s focus. ( purchase journal here. )
What you will need:
- Mary’s Mantle Consecration, A Spiritual Retreat for Heaven’s Help. You can purchase this on Amazon here
- Mary’s Mantle Consecration, Prayer Journal (optional) You can purchase this on Amazon here
- Mary’s Mantle, poster of Our Lady of Guadalupe with star stickers (optional) This is a great option for those with kids that would like to have a visual aid to go along with the days. You can purchase it here.
More important information to know:
- We will begin the first day on the feast of St Jude. We will gather to pray our first Rosary together at 8:30am on Thursday Oct. 28th. If you are unable to attend, you can still participate.
- You will choose 1 day a week (except Sunday) to fast. On that day the rest of us praying will pray for you specifically. I will send you an email letting you know who you are praying for on what days.
- Our Consecration will conclude with Adoration and rosary on the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, December 12th at 7pm
[EXLINK '630']HERE is a link to the main website with more information
***It is important that all understand that this does not demand perfection. You will forget or slip up with fasting or whatnot, and that is OK. You do not need to be perfect to sign up ***
Thinking of Becoming Catholic?
Are you or someone you know interested in becoming Catholic? Our parish will be offering RCIA sessions (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) on an agreed upon weekday evening from 7p to 8p in the Parish Office beginning in October. If you are insure whether or not this is the year for you to join in full communion with the Church, please come to our first few sessions. We personalize our sessions based on your spiritual need, so ask questions, get some information, and make a life-changing choice! For more information, please contact Brittany Renne at 616-243-8998 ext 205 or via e-mail moc.hsirapnehpetsts@ennerb.
Groups meet on different days and times throughout the year. New members are always welcome! If you would be interested in forming a new group, please contact the Faith Formation Office. An evening meeting time would be especially helpful! Please see below for more informatoin about current Bible Studies being held at St. Stephen.
For more information on any of the above or if you would like to be involved in adult faith formation in another way, please contact Brittany Renne in the Office of Faith Formation Office at 616.243.8998.